my baking


Simple Chocolate Cake - Nigella.com  

Friday, October 21, 2005

was watching 'Forever Summer with Nigella' on SCV the other day.. saw her making this "Simple chocolate cake" in that episode.. oh~ and I love it instantly. so might as well bake a little to relief stress.. it really helps for me. simply love cooking~ :)

the name for the cake is "Simple Chocolate Cake", but when it comes to the decorating part.. it's really tedious.. not exactly SIMPLE.. the washing is HELL lot of work man! it will be good to have a maid or someone to wash the dishes for u.. me? I just need Derrick = Mr Dishwasher. while looking through the recipe again, I found it quite plain hence I included some fresh strawberries and canned black berries.. haha it taste good together! wanted it to be a little like those "Black Forest Cake" that we see in Sweet Secrets.. but sigh.. my skill is not up to the standard yet.. haha the slicing of the cake is already a disaster.. and the applying of the icing.. that's worst.. really have NO idea how to apply it evenly. seriously need to attend some cooking lesson after my A levels.. enough of crapping.. take a look at the photos! -_- Derrick's PERFECT photo-taking skills again.. I had to crop a little to make it centralize... haha.. Derrick Derrick..
mmmm... the bottom 2nd layer.. there's actually 3 layers for the cake..

applying the canned black berries.. it tastes really really good.. those who loves cooking - u should try tat brand! the berries inside are those that we eat in "Black Forest Cake". damn nice~!!!
used this to dry the strawberries so that it will not be too moist and wet my cake.. the tissue paper looks nice huh? haha.. it reminds me of Othello that strawberry handkerchief!!
third layer almost done.. ooooh... can u see the berries oozing out at the side? and yes yes.. I know the layers are very uneven.. but who cares?! it tastes good can already! (and YES, it does taste good!) moreover, who can see it after I apply the icing? hehe ;p third layer done with the strawberries~~! looks like the shape of hamburger.. why?!?!?!

topped with chocolate icing and it's done! covered up all the flaws.. haha! that's the good thing about frosting.. it always help to cover all the ugly cut lines.. uneven layering.. HEY! those cake shops do that too! that's why their cream is always so freaking thick! and they are so cheapo! give u a thin layer of cake and loads of cream.. bleh.. then wad's the point of eating CAKE when there's 70% of cream on top?
eh.. I noe my cake doesn't look 10/10 .. haha.. but still.. this is the first time I'm making this typa layering cake in this year! mom taught me how to apply the icing before, but I kinda forget a great part of it.. sigh.. if only she's still around to guide me.. but nvm. back to my cake.. wanted to cut it tomorrow when my sis, bro-in-law and Wendy are here.. but DERRICK, who can't resists and insists that I cut a slice for him.. slice after slice.. he finished 1/4 of it.. -_- ...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button